Yamaha XSR700 Scrambler
Purpose Built Moto was given a shot a breathing new life into a neglected commuter. The XSR700 owner Simon loves the bike, but it had been in storage for a little too long deteriorating. I say it all the time, the worst thing you can do for your bike is not use it, second on that list is to not maintain it.
The XSR700 that came into the shop was bone stock, minus the Akropovic Exhaust. Simon wanted a tougher scrambler style bike carved out of his Yamaha, so we got to work on slimming down the body work and fenders, beefing up the tyres and blacking out the rest of it. Work on the XSR700 scrambler begun.
This job was a quick project on PBM terms, in and out in a matter of a few weeks. XSR700’s are simple bikes to work on, the factory shape gives you a lot to play with but it also leaves a good amount of room for improvement. We started with the most significant styling queue on the build, the front headlight and mount.
Starting by slightly modifying the factory headlight mount, trimming it down and prepping it to accept the custom aluminium headlight plate. Shaping some sheet metal and fabricating the shroud to mount the 5.75” Flashpoint classic within the housing. Finishing it off with a set of LED blinkers mounted to the side.
The next big ticket item was the seat. Retaining the Factory Yamaha seat pan, stripping some foam out and re-shaping to better suit the scrambler styling we were after. With the rear of the seat trimmed a little shorter and the stock fenders and lighting removed Dylan got to work integrating an LED Brake light strip into the frame. A simple job to minimise the rear lighting that always delivers great results.
You’ll see this modification done a lot, but its often finished pretty poorly. Check out our blog on how we do it here: Integrated LED brake light strip
Rounding out the tail nip/tuck is a set of LED turn signals frenched into the frame, and our all new Universal Tail tidy used to mount the licence plate and light.
Tyres were our next check list item, with a set of TKC80 Tyres fitted on the standard rims. With those fitted and a set of black fork gaiters installed I started on the front fender. Using our DIY fender fabrication kit and universal fender I whipped up a clean, no fuss mount to better suit the style of the emerging street scrambler.
The XSR700 was starting to look mean, so the paint went dark and mysterious to further that feeling. Matte black Accented by some minor gunmetal detailing painted at Livin Loco Garage (one of our new neighbours). To break up the heavy tones Timeless Autotrim upholstered the seat in a vintaged Walnut brown with matching tank strap. The cherry on top so you might say.
With that the XSR700 scrambler roared back to life and onto the streets of the Gold Coast. No ride video or Youtube clip for this one guys, we’ve got a lot happening right now. Hold Tight, more build blogs coming soon!
Love the simplicity. Good job guya